Friday, April 23, 2010

Contest Winners: Adult Category

Adult Category

1st prize: Mark Daposala

Amidst the chaos sprouts a rose


All I thought of that night
was how we ended up
in that jam-packed bolgia.
Still your heart lingered
at the sound of cymbals
crashing
like beer bottles
shattering
on concrete.

You sat
observing the scene
behind your horn-rimmed glasses
as the guitar’s distorted notes
flew like flies dissipated
in the tobacco fog
fuming from the mouths of fiends
in vintage shirts and tattered jeans
bought fresh from the Ukay-Ukay .
They raised their pitchfork fingers
in the name of sex, drugs and rock n’ roll.

You were barely 16
sipping your can of coke with a straw.
and exclaimed your view of anarchy,
“Can you see it now?
Amidst the chaos sprouts a rose.”

I fell silent.

All I saw was you.




2nd prize: Melissa Carl


The Moment


I was all eyes and ponytails
when I asked my mother
why I could not have
the dusty teddy bear
on her dresser
and learned
I had almost had
a brother to go with it.





3rd prize: Regina M. Klunk


Love Sonnet : I

Shall I compare our love to waterfalls

Like our love, the water is bold yet soft

The calm sound is a mesmerizing call

A feel of serenity is shown off

The water flows through the cracks and roughness

And accepts the guidance to find the way

Through journeys, it shares grace and gentleness

It becomes stronger and vibrant each day

Deep within, it’s so delicate and true

Every aspect is unique and graceful

Joyful, as the waters are divine blue

Feelings bring out the beauty of a soul

Minutes feel forever, even a few

Day by day, I pray, just to be with you




Biographies:

Mark Anthony Daposala:
I’m Mark Anthony Daposala from Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines. I’m the youngest of five. I got my Bachelor's Degree in English Language and Literature Studies at Xavier University. I'm currently employed as a Web Content Writer. My goals are to work abroad so I can provide myself a stable life as well as my family in times of financial crisis. I also want to advance further in the craft of writing. Aside from that, I’m an advocate of Carpe Diem. My dreams are composed of the following: Writer, Visual artist, Businessman, Musician, Model, Trainer, Photographer and meeting my muse (wherever and whoever she is).

Melissa Carl: MELISSA CARL has been writing poetry for over fifteen years. She has published in various regional and national publications—both print and online---including the Fledgling Rag, the Hanover Evening Sun, the York Daily Record, Melusine, Amoskeag, The Journal of Southern New Hampshire University, Off the Coast Magazine. Her poems have won numerous awards, including two Pushcart nominations, three first place awards in the YorkArts WritersEye competition, the York Emporium anthology competition, Yesterday, I Will, and two Top Five Poem awards in the Writer’s Digest National Poetry Month Challenge. She teaches Honors World Cultures and Advanced Placement European history at the West York Area High School, where she also runs the gifted program.

Regina Klunk:
I've been writing poems since I was in middle school. Of course I wrote about typical teenage stuff. I stopped for a little and then started up again in high school. But it didn't really hit me to right more mature poems, until my senior year. We learned a lot about Elizabethan sonnets, which is what my poems are now structured upon. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to write about. Finally , I came across this contest for a magazine located in Colorado. Shortly , after entering it for poetry and photography, I found out that this contest was worldwide. It kinda made me scared at first, but gave me more confidence in my writing, challenging myself to think bolder and open up my imagination. I have a poem that was in The Anthology of Poems by Young Americans, that was published when I was thirteen. I currently am finishing my last week of school at the Baltimore School of Massage-York Campus. A couple of weeks ago I composed a new sonnet based off of the touch of bodyworkers. My campus director was very delighted as well as my fellow classmates to see such appreciation for what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment