Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Anne Higgins at Ragged Edge

On August 5, at 6 p.m., Anne Higgins will read at the Ragged Edge in Gettysburg, followed by an open mic. She is a phenomenal writer who you do not want to miss!

Anne Higgins grew up in West Chester, Pennsylvania. She teaches English at Mount Saint Mary’s University in Emmitsburg Maryland. She is a member of the Daughters of Charity, and is a graduate of Saint Joseph College, Emmitsburg, the Johns Hopkins University, and the Washington Theological Union. She has had about ninety poems published, in Yankee, Commonweal, Spirituality and Health, the Melic Review, the Centrifugal Eye, and a variety of small magazines. She has given poetry readings at local bookstores and colleges, and was invited to give a reading at the Art and Soul Conference at Baylor University in February of 2001, and at the Calvin College Festival of Faith and Writing in 2002. Garrison Keillor has read two of her poems on his radio show “The Writers Almanac.”

She has published five books of poetry: At the Year’s Elbow, Mellen Poetry Press 2000, republished by Wipf and Stock in 2006; Scattered Showers in a Clear Sky, Plain View Press 2007, Pick It Up and Read, a chapbook from Finishing Line Press 2008,

How the Hand Behaves, a chapbook from Finishing Line 2009, and Digging for God, from Wipf and Stock in 2010. A sixth book, Reconnaissance, is due out from Pecan Grove Press in the late fall of this year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate,

    It was great meeting you last night and hearing all that wonderful poetry. As the time went on, I was glad I was called to read first! :) I hope to become as comfortable as you were speaking in front of people.

    I wanted to thank you again for your kind comment about me being a good audience member. That's something I actually do on purpose - I truly believe when we're in an audience and someone is speaking, we should be attentive and respectful. So, I'm glad to know that it's showing through.

    I hope you enjoy hearing Anne Higgins. West Chester is near where I grew up - Aston, PA. I moved to Quarryville 4 years ago and love it out here! I agree that the loss of farmland is not only quite concerning, but truly truly sad.

    ~magick~
    Meliss

    ReplyDelete