Monday, March 22, 2010

Delone Alumnus and Poet

I recently had the pleasure of getting in touch with Samantha Burhman, a former student of Dana Sauers. While attending Shippensburg University, she continues to write poetry, and I was lucky enough to have her share some of her work with me.

When asked about her biography as a poet, Samantha wrote the following about herself: "I am a currently a Sophomore at Shippensburg University. I have moved about every three years of my life, which is something that has in turn shaped me into the person that I am today. I would like to think that I am inspired by a little bit of everything. However it's really the little moments that seem to stick with me. I got into writing poetry when I was younger. It started out as a way to get my thoughts down. Though the one person that has really inspired me to continue writing is Dana Sauers. She was my English teacher in 11th and 12th grade."

I'd like to share a couple of her poems with you:


Symbol of Wisdom


symbol of wisdom
Roots flow through every particle
twisting ,breaking ,and pulsating
tying together those that would be separated
life bringer and taker
upwards springs hope
caked with layers
rings of age
caresses your inner-being
symbol of wisdom
rides between my shoulder blades
white places ownership on you
bend to the mercy
a twisted fate
for white depends on your shelter
my soul bleeds for the coarseness of white
oh my symbol of wisdom with bending limbs
how we torture you beyond recognition








Fatherless Child


I am a fatherless child.
A broken drum that wants to beat one last time.
A rainbow that shines only at moments.
A smell that reminds me of,
sandalwood and cigarettes
comforting yet sickening.
A glimpse of light shinning through the sunless sky.
A faded picture, longing ensues.
A child searching cupboards for something,
Lost that can't be returned.
I am a fatherless child.
An adolescence not understanding what fatherly love is..
A dream of ocean waves lapping at my feet
Spraying foam and laughter.
A warmth that spread throughout
My heart gone cold again
A fatherless child.
Wishing that I was whole
A project not quite finished
Sharp glass pricks across my skin,
I run,
For lost memories
For a past I want to chase down,
Experience hugs, tears, kisses.
A protective presence that protects me
From every unwanted touch
That I am not ready for
But except as love
I am a fatherless child.
I hate not knowing your smile
when I walk down the white laced aisle,
Into the arms of another man,
But different love
A man who will love me
Past my mistake
Past my mistrust
Enduring all my pain as if
He were a part of myself
All along.
I am still a fatherless child.
A broken picture frame
You see the picture
Yet you can't get past the crack.
I am still a fatherless child.
Broken dreams and all.
I know above there is a
Childless father looking down.
I hope he smiles.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kate,I'm in love with this poem.Hugs

    ReplyDelete